Students applying for graduate school at UMD for Fall 2018 in any of our core discipline areas are eligible to apply to become future COMBINE fellows.
We will offer up to three reserved COMBINE fellow spots (with NSF stipends) for Fall 2019 to students beginning a PhD program at UMD in Fall 2018. E.g., a prospective Fall 2018 UMD student would become a COMBINE fellow in Fall 2019 (since our program is designed to typically begin in the second year of graduate studies), but may begin to participate in COMBINE activities during their first year.
Participating COMBINE programs (with respective application deadlines) include:
- Applied Mathematics & Statistics and Scientific Computing (January 10, 2018)
- Biological Sciences (December 1, 2017)
- Biophysics (January 17, 2018)
- Computer Science (December 15 2018)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (December 16, 2017)
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics (December 15, 2017)
- Mathematics (December 20, 2017)
- Neuroscience and Cognitive Science (December 1, 2017)
- Physics (December 15, 2017)
If the program you’re applying to is not listed here, but your research interests fit COMBINE, contact us and we’ll help you determine your fit with the program.
Applications from future COMBINE fellows require the following:
- A current CV
- Up to one-page statement of your interest in the COMBINE program.
- Your research/personal statement submitted for graduate school applications (no need to write a new COMBINE-specific statement).
- An undergraduate transcript (unofficially is okay).
- One or two letters of reference from those submitted to graduate school at UMD – please ask your references to send their letters to email@example.com with the subject “Reference letter for FirstName LastName – Future”.
Please submit your future COMBINE fellows application by January 17, 2018, using the online COMBINE Application form.
Students accepted as future COMBINE fellows would be expected to maintain a good standing in their respective graduate studies department and would be highly encouraged to complete some discipline-bridging coursework (Learn more about our Curriculum ).
If you are seeking an NSF stipend, you can request the start date of your funding to be anytime from January through August of your first academic year as a COMBINE fellow (earlier start dates may be possible under special circumstances).